Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Professor I like..

Imagine yourself sitting in Satyam with popcorn at your left and a girl at your right! I bet you can get this feeling in Prof.Ganesh Madan's class.To put it the better way, his classes are intellectually stimulating ; not to mention his witty sense of humour.
He is an impromptu speaker - you name it - bessel function - optical communication - maxwells equation or even better... a sleeping student.He stuns you with interesting anecdotes and witty sentences to explain complex phenomena.He has the capability to rise the dead back to life with his lectures. :)
I can't still figure out how he learnt so much in this short span of academecia - upto date in his field and technology.The way he guides students amidst his administrative work(over)load simply puts one on their heels.He offered an elective last semester "Opto electronics" and I now realise that I am one of the less fortunate for having missed his classes.But still by God's grace, he's handling Optical Communication for us.Some of his views which he shared in class:

  • He expects us to know the limits of a function and have some idea about the solution about the problem we are working at.He often narrates about a student who arrived at an answer of 10^6 Ampere for an 10V circuit.
  • The Bottom-up pyramid : if the foundation is not strong, it means the pyramid was built the other way - it was very obvious - The Abdul "Kalam" days are all gone and its now "Kalm" days for MIT - its true! its true!.
  • The mathematical assumptions of infinity for solving numerical problems.He often comments on it and says that they are for our understanding.

More to come.I have just attended 7-8 classes and he has left an lasting impression in my heart.Though I don't understand much of the stuff which he talks about, I take that on myself for having a inverted-pyramid structure.I know I can reconstruct - geeez!!



No comments: